Cat Diary

/
0 Comments
Cat Diary is a comedy manga about cats from Junji Ito. As you may know, Junji Ito is one of the most famous horror mangaka who created some frightening stories such as Uzumaki, Gyo, and my favorite one Enigma of Amigara Fault. One day I discovered a manga called Cat Diary which was kindly translated by /a/non scanlation and DKThias. It made me wonder, "Junji Ito? Created a comedy manga? About cats? I can't imagine". Then I gave it a chance to read this afternoon.

Cat Diary followed a story of a man called J-kun (obviously his own name) who was a mangaka. One day his wife A-ko brought a cat named Yon from her parents' house. This cat has a really scary face. J-kun was not very amused because he wasn't a cat-person. Another day his wife decided to adopt another cat and named him Muu. Thus the story began. (You see, this is Junji Ito's true story of his life. There were even the real pictures of Yon and Muu.)

I can say that this manga is actually funny. But the fact that Junji Ito has more experience in horror manga affected my mind a lot when reading this manga (also those cats' faces were terrifying). I was kinda traumatized from Junji Ito previous works so I can't really enjoy this manga at the fullest. But yeah, it is funny. And the cats are cute. Go ahead, read it. It won't take too much your time. It took me only about 15 minutes to read the whole volume. Oh and I hope Ito-sensei create more works like this in the future.

No comments :