Review: Oyasumi Punpun

/
5 Comments
"Even in this dull days and this worthless place, the only thing you can change is yourself! That's why, as long as you remain yourself... 
this world will be yours."
Let me say this in the front: Oyasumi Punpun is one of the greatest manga I've ever read. And you too, should read this manga so you can feel what I feel.

Oyasumi Punpun (or Goodnight Punpun, for you non-weeaboos) is a coming-of-age manga by Inio Asano. You might've known his name from his other works such as Solanin or Nijigahara Holograph. The story is about a boy named Punpun and how he lives his life. We see how he grows up, falls in love, and makes friends. Pretty regular stuff, isn't it? Except Punpun (and his family) is drawn as a silly caricatured bird you see in picture above and the fact that there is some Inio Asano-esque surrealistic thingie in this manga such as Afro God that shows up whenever Punpun chants "Dear God, Dear God, Tinkle-tinkle hoy!".

Yes, he's God
Despite that, I must say that this manga is a friggin' realistic portrayal of life. As in, life is hard and growing up sucks. Here we see Punpun's struggle in his life which pretty much can be anyone else's life. There are times when I told my self while reading this, "Hey, this happens in my life" and there are also times when I had to stopped reading and sighed because the plot grew darker and darker as I progressed. Yeah you read it right, this is a manga filled with depression and irony. But I couldn't stop there, I had to continue.

Inio Asano once again amazed with his ability in storytelling as well as beautiful art. This guy knows how to draw his works in highly-detailed art. Every background in this manga is absolutely amazing. And as I said before, there are some surreal scenes too. I think now I can grouped Inio Asano among my other favorites surreal mangaka like Suehiro Maruo, Usamaru Furuya, Taiyou Matsumoto and Nishioka Brosis.

Quick, make a wish!
To put it bluntly, Oyasumi Punpun is simply a masterpiece. It's touching, heartbreaking and heartwarming. It is realistic and surreal at the same time. Yes, it's deep and thought-provoking as well as funny and disturbing. I cannot recommend you this series highly enough. This review maybe not exactly described what the manga is about so do yourself a favor and read this manga now. You can grab the scanlated version from Hox's mediafire folder.

5 comments :

  1. If you manage to finish this manga, then that means you've become a hero. (Yeah, it's that depressing.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm isn't this manga still ongoing? Well I read it until the latest translated, volume 9.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, they publish the final chapter on the magazine!
    13rd (and final) takoubon will be released soon, hope the scanlation team and translation team will still working on this manga. I want to see the end so much ;_;

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it going to end in volume 14?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, I pump into a news days ago:
    http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20130422-00000014-nataliec-ent
    It was actually volume 12...

    ReplyDelete